Chai Spice Waffles?… yes please!
My family wakes up to a special breakfast most weekends and the majority of the time it’s usually on the sweeter side rather than savory. Whether they’re having pancakes, biscuits, crepes or waffles they’re happy and having bacon as a side makes them even happier. The breakfast of choice this past weekend were Chai Spice Waffles and my oh my they were delicious.
The aroma of the chai smelled amazing. These waffles were simple to make and only used a few basic baking ingredients. In fact, I used my basic go-to waffle recipe and added the contents from a spice chai tea bag. Yep, I simply cut open a chai spice tea bag and poured the contents right into the mixing bowl with the other dry ingredients. I didn’t need to add any cinnamon or other spices… just a good ole chai tea bag.
Scroll further down, you’ll find the details to these light and fluffy Chai Spice Waffles. As you prepare the batter, it’s important to keep these tips in mind:
- Create a well to house the egg, oil, and vanilla extract
- Pour half the milk into the batter, whisk the batter a little, then pour the remaining milk and whisk again
- When mixing the batter, do not over mix the batter
- Use a whisk for mixing rather than a spoon
I nearly forgot to mention that I purchased a new waffle griddle and I absolutely love it. It’s the Cuisinart 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker. It’s fairly light weight and the clean-up is SOOOOO easy. I kicked my old one to the curb because it was such a hassle to clean and as a result I stopped making waffles. Now, it’s all about my new waffle maker it even has a temperature gauge that ranges from light to dark. I keep the gauge set in the middle, so when I make waffles they are light brown in color and are done in about 2 minutes or less. Seriously, they cook fast and evenly.
When these delightful Chai Spice Waffles are done, I lightly coat the top with butter and drizzle with Blue Organic Agave or you can serve with your favorite syrup if you prefer… YUM!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- 1 tea bag chai spice tea
- 1-1/2 cups milk add a couple of tablespoons if batter gets thick upon standing
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- Heat Waffle Making and set to desired temperature or according to instructions on packaging.
- In mixing bowl add, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder and whisk. Create a well, add egg and beat lightly, add olive oil, vanilla extract and half of milk and whisk lightly. Add remaining milk and whisk. Be sure not to over mix the batter.
- Lightly grease griddle with cooking spray or oil. Pour about 3/4 cups of batter onto griddle starting from center, and let batter cook according to directions on your waffle maker.
- When waffles are done, lightly coat with butter and serve with maple syrup, honey, agave or strawberries and whipped cream.