Crispy Roast Chicken made with browned butter, seasoned to perfection with crispy golden skin and a moist tender inside is the next best thing for your Sunday night dinner. This dish is perfect creating a fun and conversational setting while gathered around the table with family.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY ROAST CHICKEN
Crispy Roast Chicken is simple to do but requires 5 key techniques:
- Pat dry your chicken completely with paper towels (whether or not you wash it or not, I know there's controversy there)
- Rub browned butter over entire chicken, season with kosher salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, & dried parsley
- Allow chicken to reach room temperature before baking
- Start out baking at a very high temperature (425 degrees) then lowering to 375 degrees
- Baste your chicken throughout the baking time
WHEN ROASTING A CHICKEN DO YOU COVER IT
When roasting a chicken in the oven, you should not cover it with a lid or foil. Doing so, will prevent the skin from turning brown and becoming crispy. The end goal is to create a beautiful crispy brown outer coating and a moist tender inside.
Here's one caveat, if the skin on the breast is turning brown too early during the roasting time, loosely cover the chicken breast with foil to prevent the breast meat from becoming dry, tough, and hard to chew.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CRISPY ROASTED CHICKEN
Crispy Roast Chicken is so versatile that it can be served with just about any vegetable or grain.
- Your favorite salads: Vegan Roasted Beet Salad with Grilled Peaches, Simple Arugula Salad With Nectarines, Vegetable Salad with Lettuce
- Seasonal vegetables
- Roasted broccolini
- Oven Roasted potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus With Garlic
- Rice Dressing
- Stir Fry Kale
- Oven Roasted Beets
These are a few delicious side dishes that will help you take the guess work out of planning your next Sunday dinner.
Thanks for visiting.
Crispy Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (or 2 whole chickens for leftovers)
- 2 tbsp browned butter (regular soften butter will work just as fine)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt (chicken needs salt )
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried parsley ((dried thyme, dried rosemary, or both) will work if you do not have dried parsley)
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Butterfly (Spatchcock) the chicken and place on a baking sheet with skin side-up and allow the chicken to reach room temperature.
- In a sauce pan over low to medium heat, add ½ or full stick of butter to saucepan and begin to melt the butter. Allow the butter to continue to cook until is turns foamy and brown. Do not burn the butter so watch it closely. Allow the butter to cool. (You will not use all the butter, store and use the remaining for other baking needs).
- Use about 2 tbsp of brown butter and massage over entire outer surface of the chicken making sure the skin is well lubricated. Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and dried parsley.
- Place chicken in oven and bake at 435 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and contiune cooking until internal temperature reaches between 165 and 175 degrees. This may take 2 hours (oven times may vary). IMPORTANT: (BASTE CHICKEN WITH PAN JUICES THROUGHOUT THE BAKING TIME TO ENSURE THE BREAST IS MOIST AND TENDER).
- Once internal temperture reaches at least 165 degrees but not over 175 degrees. Remove the chicken from oven and allow the chicken to rest at least 10 minutes for juices to redistribute.
- Carve and serve with some of your favorite sides.