This Healthy Banana Bread Recipe is made with ripe bananas, Greek yogurt, agave, and a combination of all purpose flour and white whole wheat flour along with a few other key ingredients to make this one of the most moist, tender, and delicious quick bread breakfast recipes.
This healthier version isn't complicated nor does it require extra ingredients. In fact, it's simple to make, has no sugar, and contains less white flour than the traditional recipe. However, if you prefer one over the other, please feel free to adapt this recipe to your liking. I prefer using both types of flour instead of whole wheat alone as it tastes and feels less dense.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
Wet Ingredients: Mix wet ingredients (eggs, mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, agave, and vanilla extract)
Dry Ingredients: Combine flours, salt, baking soda, and spices (cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice, ginger)
Mix ingredients: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients mix using a wooden spoon making sure not to overwork the batter
Bake: Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean (DO NOT OVER BAKE)
- Banana bread can be stored in an airtight container and can remain on the countertop for a couple of days at room temperature
- It can be placed in the fridge and warmed the next day
- It can also be sliced and stored in the freezer until ready to eat
HOW RIPE DO BANANAS NEED TO BE FOR BANANA BREAD
When it comes to banana bread, the most delicious and mouth-watering banana bread is made from overripe bananas whereby the banana peel is really dark brown and covered with dark spots. At this stage, the starch from the flesh of banana is converted into sugar and this natural sweetness lends to the perfect amount of sweetness for the most amazing banana bread.
So, before tossing your overripe banana in the trash... think banana bread.
Even if you're not in the mood to make banana bread at that moment you can do this:
- Remove the banana peel and discard
- Chop the banana into chunks (this makes it easier for frozen banana recipes such as smoothies or shakes)
- Place banana chucks into a ziploc freezer bag and store in freezer until you're ready to use (Yes, frozen bananas can be used to make banana bread all you have to do is allow them to defrost)
HOW DO I REHEAT BANANA BREAD
You can reheat banana bread by simply wrapping the amount you're going to serve in aluminum foil, and placing it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes or so.
Tip: Make sure the banana bread is completely wrapped to ensure that it doesn't dry out or cause the edges to get crispy. You want the banana bread to maintain it's soft tender and moist texture.
Also as a bonus, once the banana bread has been heated through, you can add a smear of soften butter to the top for added deliciousness.
This healthy banana bread recipe is perfect as a light breakfast served with your favorite morning beverage or as an afternoon snack.
If you're craving a little sweetness, drizzle with a simple vanilla glaze and top with a few walnuts for added texture.
There you have it. It's that easy. Simple, healthy and wholesome.
Looking for other breakfast recipe ideas, check out these (click on the recipes links below) :
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup organic blue agave (honey or maple syrup)
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas (really ripe bananas)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp allspice
- dash ginger
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, break eggs and lightly beat, add yogurt, agave, bananas, vanilla extract and lightly whisk.
- In a measuring cup or mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice, ginger and mix together with a spoon.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon, then add the remaining dry ingredients and continue to mix without overworking the batter. Lumps are fine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Before completely removing from oven, insert a toothpick into your loaf to make sure that it comes out clean. Remove loaf from oven and let it sit in pan for 7-10 minutes.
- 1 cup of powdered sugar, 6 tsp milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp agave Mix all ingredients and drizzle over top of loaf