Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe - An easy breakfast recipe that your whole family will enjoy. So, my friends, we are still going strong with our healthy eating habits since the start of the New Year. It's been fairly easy as this is the way we've eaten for years until it gets closer to the holiday season. That's when some things just fall by the waist side when it comes to food. I'm sure I'm not alone - right? When the holidays roll around, we have good intention on keeping with our healthy living lifestyle but when treats, desserts, & holiday comfort food stare us in the face, it's hard to back down. I guess having "strong will-power" is thrown out the window at that point.
In keeping things healthy and delicious tasting, I'm bringing you this Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe. It's very easy and can be the base for many different quick bread recipes like this Healthier Banana Bread.
How To Make a Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
Bananas: It is imperative that you use very ripe bananas. Ripe bananas are naturally sweet, so when they start to turn brown, don't throw them away. You can use them in recipes like this. Due to this natural sweetness, you do not need to add a lot of additional sweeteners, if any. For this Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe, I used organic blue agave although pure maple syrup or honey would work fine too.
Flours: I used fine pastry flour as it creates the ultimate tender crumb. You can also combine all purpose unbleached flour and whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat flour) and still get a moist texture which I've done with other quick bread or muffin recipes. I think it's worth noting that if you choose to use whole wheat flour alone without combining with white flour or white whole wheat flour will create a nutty taste and somewhat dense texture. To be honest, I prefer a combination of the two.
Moistness: Drum roll please... Greek yogurt - yeeessssss! Greek yogurt is a wonderful ingredient for baking. Not only does it create a moist texture in baked goods, but it has important health benefits such as being rich in protein and is a good substitute for butter if you're watching your weight.
Cooking time: Although cooking times may very across ovens, I recommend that you not over cook your muffins. Check for doneness a few minutes before taking your muffins out of the oven by inserting with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, your muffins are done. Alternatively, you can check for doneness by gently pressing with your finger. If the muffin springs back after a gentle press, it's done. The most important thing is not to overcook the muffins.
Add-ins (optional): I topped each muffin top with a few chocolate chips before placing each muffin pan into the oven. Likewise, you can add walnuts to this Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe for added texture or nutritional value.
Health Benefits of Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
This Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe is a wonderful breakfast, brunch or healthy snack idea. If you're like me and prefer sweet while still trying to keep it healthy by cutting calories, this recipe is for you. These muffins are very satisfying and are guilt-free.
Although some banana chocolate chip muffin recipes are made with butter, oil, & refined sugar, this Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe is made with freshly ripened bananas, Greek yogurt, organic blue agave, and other pantry staples.
When eating these muffins you get the following nutritional benefits:
- Bananas - Are high in potassium with a medium sized banana providing you with over 400 mg of potassium per serving. Potassium is good for muscle and nerve function. Bananas also contain: Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Manganese (for bone health & metabolism), fiber (about 3 grams per banana), and other vitamins and minerals.
- Greek yogurt - Unlike regular yogurt, Greek yogurt is a great source for protein coming in at a whopping almost 19 grams of protein per serving. Another benefit is that Greek yogurt is low in carbohydrates.
Like with most food, it's all about eating in moderation. If you're looking for a quick, easy and healthy breakfast idea, try these Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe and pair with a side of fruit or hot cup of tea. Again, it's about moderation and portion control.
Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup pastry flour
- ¾ cup 100% whole grain ivory wheat organic flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup organic blue agave (or a total of ½ cup)
- ½ cup greek yogurt (I used vanilla but you can use plain for a slight tangy taste)
- 2 eggs (set to room temperature)
- 2 bananas (or 1 medium is fine too)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Glaze Topping (Optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk, soy, or almond milk (start with 2 tablespoon and increase gradually with 1 tablespoon for a thinner glaze)
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom (you can also use cinnamon in place of cardamom)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make glaze and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk. Set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients and whisk. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, create a well in the center. Add wet ingredients inside well and COMBINE dry & wet ingredients using a wooden or rubber spoon. Mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fold in add-in if you'd like.
- Fill each cupcake pan about half full with the batter. If you'd like add a few chocolate chips on top of each cupcake.
- Place in oven. After 12-15 minutes check for doneness with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. Or, gently press a muffin top with your finger. If the muffin springs back, they are done. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- When done, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack and let cool for about 10 minutes. When done drizzle each muffin with glaze. If they are not completely cool, the glaze will melt away.
- If you have muffins left over, you can store in an air tight container on the counter top for a day or in the fridge.
- If you do not have a muffin pan. A cupcake pan will work just as fine. Prepare your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.