Gosh, I can't believe the first week of August is over and that means that we will be closing out summer fairly soon. The kids will be back in school, traffic will be back to normal, and getting up early in the morning will be in full swing. In other words, we will be back to the hustle and bustle that life brings.
As summer ends, it's always bitter sweet. I'm going to miss not having the kids at home during the day or them saying "hey, mom what's for lunch" or my son saying, "hey mom, can we go swimming" at 9:30 on a Monday morning, or my daughter saying, "hey mom, can you drop my friends and I off at the mall" on a Wednesday afternoon. Although there were times that I felt like I worked for Uber due to running my kids and their friends here and there, I would not change it for the world.
Of course, I'm going to remember the family outings and trips but the little gestures I would hear throughout the day are unforgettable. Above all, I will look back on the fond memories and experiences that we shared as a family and with friends. These types of memories and gestures are reminiscent of my close relationship with my own parents.
Let's talk pasta. My daughter loves pasta and my son loves shrimp.
So, today, I decided to introduce you to one of our favorite pasta dishes right now, and it's a winner.
Drum roll please -This beautiful one pan dish is Skinny Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Shrimp Pasta. It's light creamy, nutritious, and oh so delicious. Wait, it gets better, this creamy pasta is made WITHOUT heavy cream.
Yes, I'm serious. It is possible to get the same beautiful creamy velvety texture of regular creamy pasta sauce without the extra fat. The star ingredients are chicken broth, milk, fresh parmesan cheese, and corn starch.
This one skillet wonder is also great when served with a green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.
Skinny Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Shrimp Pasta
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 halve sun dried roasted tomatoes cut julienne style or buy already julienne cut
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms optional
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 bag frozen raw shrimp peel and de-vein
- 1 pack farfalle pasta or desired pasta shape
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 - 2 tbsp cornstarch see notes below for using flour instead of cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk I used 1% milk
- 1/4 cup white wine optional
- 3 tbsp reserved oil from jar of sun-dried tomatoes or extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare vegetables AND set aside (chop basil, mince garlic, cut sun-dried tomatoes, slice mushrooms
- Grate parmesan cheese, de-vein and wash shrimp AND set aside
- Cook pasta following directions on package AND set aside
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to a measuring cup and whisk in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch AND set aside
- Heat oil in skillet, add minced garlic, saute until just fragrant
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute for 2 minutes
- Slowly add chicken broth whisking to combine, whisk in milk, (continue to whisk to ensure a smooth consistency)
- Add white wine and simmer for 3 - 4 minutes or so until alcohol burns off (THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL)
- Reduce heat and let cook until sauce thickens a bit. If sauce looks thin, add a teaspoon of cornstarch and whisk. Add parmesan cheese and whisk. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink (shrimp will turn pink in a few minutes)
- Drain pasta and immediately add to skillet, stir and sprinkle in basil
- Add extra parmesan cheese (if desired). Note: As dish sits, sauce will thicken.