Hi there my friends. Well, I couldn't wait to share this recipe for Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers. It's easy, healthy, protein-rich and can I say beautiful.
As I strolled down the aisle at my favorite produce market, I couldn't resist passing up these gorgeous, bold and vibrant bell peppers.
Initially, I thought about slicing them julienne style and adding them to a stir-fry but then I thought 'Oh no' these babies will be the star of the show. Although I was sure I wouldn't win my husband and son over with these Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers, I knew I would score big with my daughter. So, I decided to compromise and make these stuffed bell peppers for my daughter and I and prepare a dish that my son and hubby would enjoy as well. I thought that was fair and I felt good about my decision and especially because I wouldn't have to hear anyone complain - oh that was huge. I knew my son would frown at the very thought of eating bell peppers let alone stuffed bell peppers. Well, my husband, is the one who uses his fork to pick out all the bell peppers from his dish and set alongside the rim of his plate. So yes, I knew not to go there with those two.
I had all the ingredients I needed to prepare these stuffed bell peppers - yes everything. Ground turkey meat - check, quinoa - check, mushrooms - check, garlic - yep, and seasonings!!. So few ingredients - perfect right.
Anyhow, I started cooking the quinoa and browning the turkey meat. Ideally, the quinoa will take a little longer to cook compared to the the turkey meat. When the quinoa and turkey were done, I cut the tops off and stuffed those beautiful bell peppers to the rim and baked until the bell peppers were nice and tender.
As a side note, if you have a Smart and Final in your area check out their store brand turkey meat, I find that I get a lot more for my money compared to other brands (please note that this is my own personal opinion). I'm able to stretch it out over a couple of days depending on the dish that I make.
These quick and easy Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers are perfect for last minute lunch or dinner ideas.
They are very versatile and can be stuffed with other delicious meat and veggies or you can choose to make vegetarian stuffed bell peppers. Either way, I'm sure your family or friends will enjoy. You can go a step further and grill the bell peppers first then stuff with your favorite food items.
Today, I challenge you to begin making healthy dishes like these.
Check out the recipe below for all the details.
Let me know what you think I would love to hear from you.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3-4 bell peppers The number of bell peppers you prepare depends on your serving size. You can also use any colors
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- chopped parsley for garnish
- 3/4 - 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- salt season with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 4 tbsp olive oil reserve 2 tbsp for later
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare quinoa according to packaging.
- Wash, dry, and cut tops off bell peppers. Set aside
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet, fry turkey meat until brown season with salt and pepper and cook about 15 minutes. Avoid over cooking turkey meat to prevent dryness. Remove turkey meat from skillet and transfer to plate. In same skillet add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and saute mushrooms and garlic. Set aside.
- Stuff bell peppers by layering with ground turkey meat, cooked quinoa, saute garlic and mushrooms, and sprinkle parmesean cheese on top.
- Cook in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- When done, sprinkle the tops with more cheese and add parsley for garnish. Slightly drizzle tops with olive oil (optional)
We prefer just a slight crunch, so I reduced the baking time.
Feel free to omit the parm to reduce the amount of calories.
**Please note: Nutritional values serve as a guide only as values may vary.