Prawn Stir Fry with Noodles is a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea to close out the first week of this new year. I hope everyone had a wonderful and joyous holiday season. Now, that the holiday season has come and gone, it's now time to get back into the groove of things. Did you make any New Year Resolutions? I didn't for obvious reasons such as not being able to stick to them but really I didn't want the added pressure, nor did I want to go through the agony of feeling bad if I break them. Several years ago, I decided to stop making New Year Resolutions and just live life and continue to do what makes me happy whether it's living a healthier lifestyle, becoming spiritually connected, or becoming a stronger individual. These are characteristics, among other things, that in-part define who I am. For those who are on their journey to living a healthier life style, I hope you become inspired by quick and easy healthy recipes such as this Prawn Stir Fry with Noodles. If you're a shrimp lover, check out this elegant White Wine Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta. I bet you'll also love these Easy Spring Rolls.
How to Cook Prawn Stir Fry with Noodles
Marinade/Sauce: I would have to say that this marinade is sharing the spotlight as being the star of the show. Although it's an extremely simple marinade, it really makes the dish. It calls for a 1:1 ratio of soy sauce and agave. Feel free to use honey or maple syrup instead of agave but agave is a pantry item that I always have on hand.
I also added:
- Fresh minced garlic
- Lime zest
- Juice of half of a lime
Oh, I wish I would have thought about adding fresh ginger as ginger would have added a special touch. Check this out, the marinade is going to be used as a marinade of course and a sauce. Yes, a two for one deal. So, you're going to use half to marinade your shrimp and you're going to reserve the other half and use as you're sauce.
Vegetables: You can pretty much use any veggies that you have in your fridge. I had some fresh green beans that needed to be used. So, I blanched those for about 4 minutes to soften just a bit then I stir fried them.
Noodles: You can use any shape pasta that you want or a little or a lot. It's totally up to you. Keep in mind that you should have a good sauce to pasta ratio as pasta absorbs sauce fairly quickly especially upon standing. We like our dishes more saucey, so I tend to use less pasta.
Putting it all together: After you saute your shrimp, you're going to add everything together and let it simmer for a few minutes. That's it your Prawn Stir Fry with Rice is complete.
Health Benefits of Shrimp
Shrimp is a protein-rich food and a perfect option for those watching their carbohydrate intake as shrimp contains zero carbs and is a low calorie food. Shrimp also contain minerals that our body needs such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A and B-vitamins to name a few. Interestingly, shrimp contain carotenoids and selenium which are known to reduce the risk of certain cancers. Shrimp have also been known to improve the following (source - organicfacts.net) :
- Bone health
- Weight loss
- Brain health
- Anti-aging properties
Although there are many health benefits to eating shrimp, it's worth noting that shrimp, like most food, should be eaten in moderation.
We are true seafood lovers from fish, crab, scallops, oysters, claims, mussels, squid, and of course shrimp we love it all. Unlike other protein-rich foods, seafood cooks quickly and because of this my favorite time to cook seafood dishes are on busy weeknights and some Friday nights.
Prawn Stir Fry with Noodles
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb raw shrimp/prawns (deveined)
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- dash of salt
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat pasta (any pasta of your choice)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup organic blue agave
- 2 gloves fresh minced garlic
- zest of 1 lime
- juce of half a lime
- Boil water and prepare pasta according to box instructions.
- Prepare ice bath - In a mixing bowl, fill half-way with ice and water. Set aside.
- Clean and devein shrimp/prawns. Set aside.
- Remove tips from green beans. Slice mushrooms. Set aside
- In a measuring cup, prepare marinade by combining all ingredients together: soy sauce, organic blue agave, minced garlic, lime zest and lime juice and mix. In a separate bowl or freezer zip loc bag, pour in half of the marinade (reserving the other half for later use). Add the shrimp and marinade for a few minutes.
- In a medium sized pot, bring water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 4 minutes. Remove green beans from boiling water and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp to pan and saute while discarding the marinade. Saute shrimp for a few minutes on each side. DO NOT overcook. Remove shrimp from pan and place on a clean plate. Set aside.
- In same saute pan, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Add green beans and stir fry for a few minutes. Stir in mushrooms. Add reserved marinade, a dash of salt and cook until marinade thickens and turns into a sauce. This will take a few minutes. Add shrimp, and cooked pasta. Stir all ingredients together.
- Garnish with sesame seeds (optional).
- Serve immediately.
sue | theviewfromgreatisland
This looks absolutely delicious!
Hi Sue - Thanks so very much and many thanks for visiting my blog.