Let's start by giving all do respect to the best kitchen tool ever drum-roll please... yes, the Slow Cooker. This is a must-have kitchen tool. It's the perfect size, easy to use, convenient, and low maintenance. Today, I'm going to share my recipe for Slow Cooked Black Beans.
I love this recipe because it's simple, economical and oh so flavorful. Once you try this recipe, you'll never go back to store bought canned black beans again.
For the longest time, I was intimidated by the very thought of cooking any kind of dry beans whether they were black beans, red beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans just to name a few, I would just shy away from cooking them. My family and I love all sorts of beans, so cooking them was a goal that I definitely wanted to accomplish. But, my fear of them being either to mushy, too dry, or too hard had gotten the best of me.
Well, a couple of years ago after contemplating about this very issue, I decided to pull out my handy ole slow cooker and decided to test out making slow cooked black beans. When grabbing my ingredients, I realized I didn't have any meat to use for added flavor, but I didn't fret.
My goal was simplicity, so I gathered my ingredient list that I had on hand:
- Dry black beans
- Chicken broth
- Garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
That's it, seven ingredients for tasty slow cooked black beans.
Since I didn't have meat, I figured that chicken broth would be a perfect substitute for added flavor. As a child, I remember my mother, grandmother, and aunt using salted pork, neck bones, or smoked turkey legs or wings when cooking any kind of beans for added flavor. They would never cook beans without some sort of meat. Well, I didn't follow the tradition but that's okay because cooking is about experimenting and trying new things - right?
I'm hear to tell you that I've conquered my fear with the help of that good ole slow cooker. Check out the details for this recipe below.
Coming soon, are other dinner recipes that I use to incorporate these delicious slow cooked black beans.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Let's chat soon.
Slow Cooked Black Beans
- 1 bag dry black beans
- 1 tblsp kosher salt (more or less (depending on your taste))
- ½ teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 5.5 - 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup onion (chopped finely)
- In a colander, wash dry black beans thoroughly and pick over your beans and discard any unsightly beans. Transfer beans to your slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, chicken broth, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Cook on high and check beans after 3 hours to make sure it has your desired taste and consistency. If it does not have your desired taste or if beans need to soften, cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.