With Thanksgiving just days away, I wanted to share this Butter Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe. It's definitely a winner, and I think you'll agree. Although I used turkey wings, this recipe is perfect when cooking a whole turkey as well. On Saturday afternoon, I had no clue what was on the dinner menu. For some reason, I was really indecisive. I didn't have a particular taste for anything which made it a little more challenging and my lovely family was not much help as they too couldn't make a decision.
I figured that while doing my weekly run to the grocery store, something would scream out dinner. As I strolled around the grocery store, low and behold, I came across turkey wings and I thought okay perfect. We hadn't had turkey wings in while, so I thought 'good choice'. This Butter Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe with a sweet potato casserole along side some vegetables - yum!
How To Make This Butter Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe
Turkey: Feel free to use a whole turkey, wings, legs, breast, or thighs.
Butter/Herbs Mixture: It is best to use softened butter and not melted when preparing you butter herb mixture. You can feel free to use any herbs of your choice. I typically use rosemary, thyme, and marjoram; however, this time I used rosemary and the wings were D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.
Basting: Is a technique whereby you pour or brush on juices or melted fat on for example, meat, to keep it moist. I used chicken broth and the pan juices for basting.
Prepared Pan: I found that parchment paper works extremely well in preventing your meat form sticking.
Cooking time: Cook at a relatively high temperature to ensure that you get a beautiful brown crispy skin making sure not to overcook.
Health Benefits of Turkey Wings
Although turkey wings are dark meat and have more calories and fat than white turkey meat, they are rich in protein and other vital nutrients such as iron, calcium and selenium.
Although the beautiful brown crispy skin is the star of the show in this Butter Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe, it is recommended that the skin be removed before eating if you're watching your cholesterol intake.
If your cooking for your family or a small group of people, butter herb roasted turkey wings would be great alternative to cooking a whole turkey. Also, try these Oven Roasted Potatoes for the perfect side dish.
Butter Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 8 turkey wings
- 1 tbsp kosher salt (or less)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle & roasted garlic granulated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth
Butter Herb Mixture
- 2.5 tbsp butter (soften (not melted))
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary (chopped (or herbs of your choice))
- Preheat oven 430 degrees
- Prepare baking pan with parchment paper
- Wash turkey wings and dry with paper towels
- Rub each wing with the butter/herb mixture
- Season with salt, pepper, chipotle & roasted garlic, & smoked paprika
- Baste turkey wings with chicken broth the first 20 minutes then again with chicken broth and the pan juices the next 15-20 minutes. When skin has browned to your liking, flip the turkey wings over and follow the same basting process.
- When meat has cooked through and skin has browned on other side remove from oven.
- With a spoon mix the butter and herbs to create the butter her mixture. Set aside.