Healthy Pumpkin Walnut Bread has all the warm spices that's reminiscent of Fall. It's super moist and down right delicious. It has the perfect amount of sweetness without using refined sugar.
This recipe is great for a make-ahead breakfast idea or as a light dessert with a cup of hot tea or coffee. If you love pumpkin, I think you're going to love this easy and delicious quick bread.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY PUMPKIN BREAD
- Separate dry ingredients from wet ingredients
- Combine both wet and dry ingredients
- Don't forget to add all the warm spices that remind you fall: cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice, ginger, nutmeg
- Add chopped walnuts or any other add-ins of your choice
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean
- Take the pumpkin out the oven immediately to prevent over-baking
- Remove from loaf pan
- All to cool slightly
- Drizzle with glaze (optional)
It's that easy.
Once you make this healthy pumpkin bread recipe, you'll be hooked and will make quick bread all the time. They're so versatile and can be made at any moment without the need of pulling out a bunch of ingredients and low maintenance.
Tip: Measure out all your ingredients first and place them in separate small bowls or measuring cups to make the prepping process faster. This way, you're not measuring ingredients as you go. It's an efficient way of cooking in your kitchen.
HOW LONG IS PUMPKIN BREAD GOOD
Freshly baked pumpkin bread is good:
- At room temperature for at least 2 days on your kitchen counter top
- In the fridge for up to 1 week
- In the freezer for 2 to 3 months
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN BREAD
Always store pumpkin bread or any quick bread for that matter in an air tight container or resealable ziploc bag. If freezing, store in a ziploc freezer bag pushing all of the air out of the ziploc . This will ensure that your bread stays moist and fresh-tasting even when reheating.
This healthy pumpkin walnut bread makes a great breakfast idea when your home or even on the go. Grab a slice if you're on the go and enjoy with your favorite morning beverage. It's also great as a snack.
- 1-3/4 cup flour all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or a combination of both
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- dash ground ginger
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil light tasting
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups crushed walnuts
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray bread pan using cooking spray with flour or spray with regular cooking spray and dust inside of bread pan with flour which is the method I used.
- Layer the bottom of the bread pan with crushed walnuts making sure the crushed walnuts are added in a single layer over the entire surface.
- Place brown sugar and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Using a mixer, mix ingredients until just incorporated. Add in eggs one at a time and mix just to break egg yolk. Add applesauce and pumpkin puree and mix. Using a rubber spatula mix in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, prepare dry ingredients: add flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix using a spoon.
- Add half of dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula. Add remaining dry ingredients to wet ingredients and continue to mix. Pour batter into prepared bread pan and sprinkle the top with chopped walnuts.
- Cook for 45 - 47 minutes. After 40 minutes or so, test using a toothpick to gauge how much longer your bread needs to cook.
- Remove your bread from the pan and cool for a few minutes and ENJOY
- You can drizzle the top with a simple glaze for added sweetness if you'd like. This step is optional