How to Bake Sweet Potatoes Fast (without using a microwave)- So, are you still feeling a little stuffed from your Christmas dinner wondering why you ate so much? Were you one of those who ate again an hour or so later "just because"? You weren't hungry - right. Then again, you couldn't resist the succulent turkey, smoked roast, honey glazed ham, greens, candied yams, dressing, seafood chicken gumbo, among other delectables. Now, it's the day after Christmas, what is a girl to do... there's still quite a bit of food left and desserts galore. I need to get this situation under control real fast. I'm still out of town but will be heading home soon. I've decided that today is my last day of eating, munching and nibbling on holiday food. I want to get back to my healthy eating lifestyle and today is the day.
Are you feeling like me? Well, if you are or aren't, I have a suggestion. If you have left over sweet potatoes and want to take the healthier route in cooking up those sweet potatoes, here's a foolproof way of How to Bake Sweet Potatoes Fast without using the microwave. Before I go any further, I want to say that I rarely use the microwave because in my opinion:
- It's not the healthiest option when it comes to cooking or warming food
- It changes the texture of food which I hate
- Food cooks unevenly which is annoying
So, when I say fast, I mean 35 to 45 minutes for medium sized sweet potatoes at 430 degrees. 430 degrees may seem high, but this is a really good temperature for learning How to Bake Sweet Potatoes Fast. In doing so, keep the following in mind:
- Size: When baking sweet potatoes, any size potatoes will do although I prefer medium sized potatoes.
- Baking Time: For medium sized potatoes allow for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Checking for Doneness: Use a fork to check if the potatoes are done. This can be done by piercing each potato with a fork. If the potatoes are fork tender, they are done and are ready to be removed from the oven.
- Toppings: Refer to the ingredient section for the brown sugar spice mixture and for added texture these addictive Healthy Homemade Granola Clusters would be yummy too.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES
Sweet potatoes are a very nutritious vegetable. They are high in:
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene
- Dietary fiber
to name a few. They also help with your digestive system due to the amount of soluble and insoluble fibers. It is also worth noting that most of the fiber in sweet potatoes come from the skin. As an added health benefit, it wouldn't hurt to eat the skin while enjoying your baked sweet potato. For more detailed information on the benefits of sweet potatoes, check out this article.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes Fast
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- drizzle of agave
Brown Sugar Spice Mixture
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon
- 1/4 allspice
- 1/4 pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 430 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash each sweet potato really well. Pierce each sweet potato a few times with a fork or small steak knife
- Place sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheet
- Check for tenderness after 35 minutes. If the potatoes aren't fork tender, allow for an extra 5 to 10 minutes
- Once potatoes are tender, remove from oven. Slit each potato down the center and top with the brown sugar spice mixture. Add other topping such as walnuts and a drizzle of agave (optional)