These Instant Pot Beef Ribs are packed with incredible flavor. They’re seasoned to perfection with kosher salt and a lovely Cajun spice blend and pressured cooked until fork tender.
This mouth-watering recipe is done in about an hour and will have your family and friends craving for more.
This Cuban-inspired spice blend that’s rubbed generously over each short rib really packs a punch. So, if you’re looking for a hassle-free and down-right delicious Instant Pot Beef Rib recipe this is for you.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BEEF RIBS
Instant Pot Beef Ribs are super simple to make and require a couple key steps and simple ingredients. The MOST important step is to know how to properly work your instant pot to prevent risk of injury.
If you’re not sure how to work your instant pot properly, I’d suggest carefully reading through your owner’s manual and/or referring to Youtube. Once you feel, you’re well on your way to making delicious these finger licking beef ribs.
With all that being said, let’s get to the fun part of this recipe.
Seasoning: Combine your spices to make the Cajun spice blend.
Beef Short Ribs: Wash and pat dry each short rib with paper towels. Season each rib with kosher salt and a generous amount of the Cajun spice blend.
Next and one of the MOST important steps of this recipe is to SEAR each short rib in a skillet or in the instant pot itself. This step elevates the flavor of the short ribs.
For even more flavor, saute minced garlic in the same oil that’s used to sear the short ribs.
**Sear Method 1: Add cooking oil to a hot skillet and sear each short rib (with the meaty side down). Sear the short ribs in batches to create a nice brown outer crust on each rib. I tend to use a large skillet to make the searing process go quicker. Searing first, enhances the depth of flavor.
**Sear Method 2: If you’re using the instant pot to sear your short ribs, plug in your instant pot and press the saute button, add cooking oil and set to 5 to 8 minutes. Sear your short ribs in batches (with the meaty side down)
After you’re done searing each short rib, add the minced garlic and saute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Pay close attention so the garlic doesn’t burn.
Whether you use Sear Method 1 or Sear Method 2, add the sauteed garlic, seared short ribs, and chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, MAKING SURE THE VALVE IS SET TO SEALING
- Press the ‘Pressure Cook’ button, and increase the cooking time to 45 minutes using the plus sign
- After 45 minutes, allow the pressure to come down naturally for 15 minutes, then do a manual release AND allow the pressure to release until the silver value drops down
- Remove short ribs from the instant pot and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Drizzle your favorite BBQ sauce over each short ribs
Oven Broiler: Remove the short ribs from the instant pot and place on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until the ribs are brown and slightly caramelized.
That’s it… fall-off-the-bone beef ribs.
TIPS FOR INSTANT POT BEEF RIBS
- Although it’s not required, I highly recommend searing your ribs FIRST
- Again, not required but I recommend placing your ribs under the broiler before serving them
- You can add just the minimum amount of liquid to the instant pot for this recipe as it will form a lot of liquid
- Make sure you know the basics of using your instant pot, so you’re not afraid of using it and to prevent injury
3 WAYS TO SERVE INSTANT POT BEEF RIBS
Here are three quick and easy ways to serve Instant Pot Beef Ribs:
- Serve as they are when they’re done in the pressure cooker
- When done, skim off any grease from the liquid and discard. Thicken remaining liquid by making a luscious gravy. You can use a slurry made with cornstarch or arrowroot.
- As with this recipe, turn instant pot beef ribs into BBQ beef short ribs
CAN YOU OVERCOOK SHORT RIBS
You can’t overcook short ribs if you’re using a pressure cooker such as an instant pot or when braising. These two cooking methods will eventually result in fall off the bone fork tender meat. You really can’t mess up.
In my opinion, this would be a really good recipe for using your instant pot for the first time. It uses multiple steps which will help you become more familiar with the different options and uses of your instant pot.
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH INSTANT POT BEEF RIBS
The number of side dishes you can serve with this recipe are infinite. You can pair these short ribs with the same sides you would serve at a BBQ.
If you’re looking for low-carb side dishes, you’ll enjoy these:
I hope you enjoy and thanks for vising.
These Instant Pot BBQ Beef Short Ribs are packed with incredible flavor. They're seasoned to perfection with kosher salt and a lovely Cuban spice blend and pressured cooked until fork tender.
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper add more for extra heat
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 25 short ribs more or less depending on the number of people you're serving
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1.5 cup low sodium chicken broth or minimum amount for your instant pot
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil extra virgin olive oil or other cooking oil is fine
Combine spices to make Cajun spice blend. Set aside.
Wash short ribs and pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt and Cajun spice blend.
**For Searing: (Use a large skillet on the stove top). If using a skillet, place skillet over medium high heat. Add grapeseed oil. Place short ribs in skillet until brown crusty outer layer develops then flip over. Repeat this process until all short ribs have been seared. Work in batches to avoid over-crowding skillet.
**For Searing (Using an Instant Pot): Place oil in instant pot and press the Saute button: Add short ribs and sear until brown crusty outer layer forms on one side then flip the ribs on the other side to repeat. Repeat this process until all short ribs have been seared. Work in batches to avoid over-crowding
Remove the short ribs and place on clean plate. Keep 2 tablespoons of the oil that was used for searing to saute the minced garlic (if there's too much oil, discard some. If too little oil, add more). Saute garlic until fragrant.
If you sauteed the garlic in a skillet add it to the instant pot. Along with the short ribs and chicken broth. Secure the lid and set valve to 'Sealing'. Press Pressure Cook and increase time to 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, allow the pressure to come down naturally then do a manual release until pressure value drops down.
Broil the ribs (Optional) - Remove ribs from instant pot and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle your favorite BBQ sauce over each rib and place baking sheet in oven to broil for approximately 3 to 5 minutes until the meat looks brown and care slightly caramelized.
Remove from broiler and serve immediately.
Please NOTE: The nutritional values serve as a guide only as values may vary.
I have a very wide oven-proof skillet that I used to saute my short ribs which made the searing process go very quickly.
The searing and broiling steps aren't required, but I highly recommend.