Grilled Flanken Ribs seasoned to perfection with a Cajun spice blend for a flavorful and easy weekend dinner idea.
Our Flanken Ribs recipe is easy to prepare and comes together in no time.
We have been making the best of 'Social Distancing' not only by getting caught up on our to-do list but also through food. Since we're home more these days, we've been eating more and making a ton of food using pantry staples. I've been getting creative in the kitchen which has been fun; however, today, I want to share a recipe that isn't necessarily a pantry staple but is something we had on
If you're looking to switch things up a bit, you gotta try our flanken ribs recipe. They are so flavorful and delicious.
What kind of meat is flanken
Flanken is a thin strip of meat that is cut across the bones so that each rib contains 3 to 4 circular bones. The ribs are usually about 1/2 inch thick and is taken from the short ribs of beef. You may also know this style of rib as Korean BBQ ribs (kalbi).
Flanken ribs take between 20 to 25 minutes on the grill. Once they are done, you can slather each rib with your favorite barbecue sauce for added flavor or simply serve without any sauce and it's just a delicious.
How to make flanken ribs on the grill
- Wash and pat dry each rib with paper towels
- Season with kosher salt, pepper, and a Cajun spice blend of (smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and thyme) and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes. Marinating is optional.
- Fire up your outdoor grill following your process
- When the grill is ready, place each flanken rib on the grill plates
- Grill for about 10 to 15 minutes on one side, flip each rib over and grill for an additional 10 minutes or until they are done
- These ribs are thin and cook fast be sure that you do not overcook them
- If using BBQ sauce, you can do one of 2 things:
- Heat BBQ sauce in a sauce pan and place on the stove-top to heat then slather warm BBQ sauce on each rib
- Slather ribs with BBQ sauce, then place ribs in a preheated oven for a few minutes until BBQ sauce is warm
Side dishes to go with this recipe
Thanks for visiting.
Grilled Flanken Short Ribs
- Outdoor Grill
- 2 lbs flanken ribs or 3 packs (typically you can find 8 in a pack)
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 tbsp Cajun spice blend
Cajun Spice Blend
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Wash and pat dry each flanken rib with paper towels
- Add kosher salt, black pepper and Cajun spice blend. (Store left over Cajun spice blend in an air tight container and store in pantry for later use)
- If time permits, marinate with dry rub for at least 20 minutes (optional)
- Set outdoor grill following your process. Place each rib on grill. After 10 minutes, flip ribs over and continue grilling for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the ribs are done to your liking.
- Remove from grill and place on a baking sheet. If you like, slather some or all the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce and place in oven for a few minutes until BBQ is heated through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides
- Slather on ribs and place ribs in a preheated oven until BBQ sauce is heated through (this will only require a few minutes)
- Place BBQ in a sauce pan and heat on top of oven, once BBQ sauce is heated, slather on each rib