An easy and foolproof way of roasting beets in foil. Only 3 ingredients used to enhance the delicate sweet flavor of this beautiful root vegetable.
How to roast beets in foil
- Trim root and stems (keeping the leafy greens for later use)
- Wash beets (bulbs) and pat dry with paper towels
- Using a baking sheet, place beets on a long sheet of foil and drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt
- Using the other end of the foil, wrap the beets creating a foil pouch
- Place baking sheet with prepared beets inside a 415 degree oven
- Roast beets in oven between 1 hr to 1 hr and 15 minutes depending on the size of the beets until you can easily insert a steak knife into the bulb of the beets
- Remove from oven and unwrap the foil pouch
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove skin by:
- Rubbing with a paper towel
- Peel using a steak knife
- Peel using your fingers
Do you have to peel beets before roasting
No, it isn't necessary to peel beets before roasting. Do not even bother and why go through the extra work.
After roasting beets, the skin becomes really thin and tender and can easily be removed by:
- Rubbing around the bulb with a paper towel
- Peel using your fingers
- Use a paring or steak knife to gently remove the skin
The latter method is what I tend to do. It's so easy and goes by quickly.
Are roasted beets good for you
Whether you roast, boil, or steam beets, they are absolutely good for you. Beets in general are rich in folate, Vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants and other minerals as well as nitrates that may help lower blood pressure.
What meat is good to eat with beets
Although beets are hearty in texture , they have a slightly sweet taste that makes it a perfect side dish when paired with most meat. Honestly, you can't go wrong when accompanying beets with beef, chicken, pork or a more delicate protein such as fish.
Check out these delicious meat dishes you can pair with roasted beets:
- Oven Baked Chuck Roast Recipe
- Easy Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
- Best Way to Cook London Broil
- Instant Pot Beef Ribs
- How to Cook Tri Tip in the Oven
- Pan Seared Salmon Recipe
- Spatchcock Chicken Recipe with Cajun Spices
Thanks for visiting.
Roasted Beets in Foil
- 1 bunch red beets
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Trim roots and stems (keeping leafy greens for later use). Wash beets and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place long piece of foil on baking sheet and add beets to foil. Drizzle beets liberally with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt. Using the other end of the foil, wrap the beets creating a foil pouch.
- Place prepared beets in oven to roast for 1 hr or 1hr and 15 mins depending on the size of the beets until you can easily insert the tip of a steak knife into the bulb of the beet. When done, remove from oven and unwrap the foil pouch.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skin by rubbing with a paper towel, peel using a steak knife or using your fingers to remove the skin
- Slice the beets or cut into cubes.